Evolution of Locations for the Firework Events

The Omagari Firework Competition was first held in 1910 as the Ou Six Prefectures Firework Competition. Until the mid-20th century, it was held near the Taisei Bridge, where Omogawa merged with Marukogawa River. While the economic development in the following years made the competition larger, the course of the Omonogawa River was changed in 1969 to make it flow straight. This led to the creation of a riverside ground of 240,000 square kilometers, which has been used for spectators’ seats since that year.