Venerated by local fishermen, Hachiryu Shrine was once a sandbar that jutted out into Hachirogata Lagoon. Before the land reclamation in this area, Hachirogata Lagoon had a booming fishing industry. The local fishermen gave thanks to the god Hachiryu for their good catches and erected stone monuments to appease the ghosts of the fish they caught. The oldest of these, the Memorial Stone of Thanks to Lake Mullets, was built in 1861. In addition, the fishermen and local officials of Funakoshi built a stone monument as a stone of protection for the shore in gratitude to Hachiryu. Designated as cultural resources by the city, these monuments are important in preserving the local folklore and worship of Hachiryu.