The Kurosawa Family’s Former Residence

State-Designated Important Cultural Property
This house was built about 300 years ago, as a high-ranking samurai’s residence in the present-day Nakadōri-Sanchōme district, in Akita City. The Nakadōri area was then a quarter for high-ranking samurai families, then called Kubota Castle’s Third District. In the Edo era, samurai were provided with official residences in function of their status and salary. Thus, this residence was occupied successively by the Haga family, Akata family, Yoshinari family, and Hirai family, before it was taken by the Kurosawa family in 1829, the head of which received an annual salary of 500 koku (75 tons of rice) and assumed the responsibilities as minister for forestry and mining affairs and later as minister for religious affairs.
The residence consists of 6 buildings and a few structures: a Shoin-style main building, the Nagayamon-style front gate, a plaster-walled storehouse, a rice storehouse, a woodshed, and shinto shrine hall. This cultural property is extremely valuable because it is the only residence in Japan where the buildings remain in the same constellation as in the Edo era.
Designation on May 19, 1989
National Agency for Cultural Affairs
Akita City Board of Education