Remains of Kobohji
The Henshoin Kobohji temple remains only the foundation stone after being ruined.
It was established in the end of the Heian period (1100’s), and it has then become a sacred place of worshiping in Oga and Akita alongside with the spread of Buddhism.
Although it became famous as a sacred ground for Shugendo (Japanese mountain asceticism incorporating Shinto and Buddhist concepts) with the transition from Tendai to Shingon sector, as the representative of the religion, Kobohji temple has prospered by having protection and veneration over generations by Abe, Mutsu, Tachibana, Andou, and Satake.
Especially the feudal lord in middle age such as Andou, who considered Oga as an important site on the sea in early period, did construction and recovery for temples and pagodas in the Kobohji temple, in order to pray for safe voyage and stable lives of citizens.
Due to the anti-Buddhist movement at the beginning of the Meiji era, the temple was then abandoned, while many other temples were scattered.
Oga City Department of Education