History of Tsuchizaki Port

658: Abe-no-Hirafu arrived at the inlet of Agita to subjugate the Emishi people.
733: The Ideha-no-ki fort was moved to Takashimizu-oka of Akita village.
1394–1428: Ando Takasue invaded the area and established the rule of the Minato-Ando family around Akita Port (according to a non-verified legend).
14th–16th century: Minato Castle was constructed.
1589: Outbreak of the Battle of Minato, a military struggle among the Ando families.
1591: Toyotomi Hideyoshi conducted the first nationwide land survey, after which Ando Sanesue was authorized to rule over a territory of 52000-goku rice production. Sanesue took the family name of Akita and named himself Akita Sanesue.
1595: For the construction of Fushimi Castle by Toyotomi Hideyoshi, Akita cedar and other materials were exported.
1602: The Tokugawa family prevailed over the Toyotomi family at the Battle of Sekigahara. After the war, the Akita family was demoted and the Satake family became the new occupants of Minato Castle and rulers of the Akita Domain.
1603: The Satake family started the construction of Kubota Castle in a more inner area (the present-day city center of Akita). As most merchants of Tsuchizaki moved to Kubota, the town of Tsuchizaki underwent major reorganizations.
1604: Minato Castle was destroyed.
1620: The family god of the Kawaguchi family was moved to the location of the former Minato Castle and Tsuchizaki Shinmei Shrine was constructed.
17th–19th century: Tsuchizaki Port prospered as a port of call for Kitamae ships.
1868: A steamship of the Saga Domain arrived at Tsuchizaki Port in support of Kubota Domain (Akita Domain) against the Tokugawa Shogunate.
1872: Tsuchizaki Post Office was opened.
1897: Mitsubishi Steamship Company opened a regular sea route connecting Tokyo, Hakodate, Funakawa, Tsuchizaki, and Niigata.
1878: Municipal offices were established.
1889: The towns of Tsuchizaki Port and Aisome-Shinden Village were merged to become Tsuchizaki Port Town.
1901: Omiya Power Plant, the first thermal power plant in Akita Prefecture, was inaugurated and started supplying electricity.
1902: Hiroi Quay was constructed. Tsuchizaki Library was opened. Tsuchizaki Train Station was opened.
1905: Ou Train Line was fully opened.
1907: Omonogawa Station (later renamed Akita Port Station) was opened to connect Tsuchizaki Station to Tsuchizaki Port.
1908: Japan Railway Tsuchizaki Factory started its operation.
1910: Japan Petroleum Company Akita Refinery started its operation. The National Harbor Investigation Committee designated Tsuchizaki Port and Funakawa Port as 2nd-class important ports.
1911: The major construction of Funakawa Port started.
1921: Komaki Omi established a literature review journal Tane-Maku-Hito (People who Sow Seeds) (Tsuchizaki Edition).
1927: A lighthouse was constructed at the mouth of Omonogawa River in Tsuchizaki Port.
1928: Construction of Tsuchizaki Port started.
1935: The state designated Tsuchizaki Port an industrial port.
1936: Gas supply service started in Tsuchizaki.
1938: Renovation work on the Omonogawa River banks was completed.
1941: Tsuchizaki Port Town was merged with Akita City. The name of the port was changed from Tsuchizaki Port to Akita Port.
1945: On August 14–15 from late in the evening until early in the morning, Tsuchizaki suffered aerial bombardment. The oil refinery was completely destroyed.
1948: Three battleships were sunk in the port to become part of the North Breakwater.
1951: The state designated Akita Port an important port.
1965: Akita Port was established as a port of international trade under the Customs Law.
1966: Tsuchizaki Bypass Road was opened.
1970: Akita North Port was opened, greatly changing the configuration of the port area.
1971: Akita Port Railway started operations.
1975: New Port Bridge was inaugurated.
1983: The Nihonkai-Chubu earthquake struck, with its epicenter 80 km off the coast of Noshiro. Akita Port was seriously damaged.
1991: The Pedestrian Walkway, Minato-We-Road was opened to connect the eastern and western gates of Tsuchizaki Station. The Tsuchizaki Library was moved and constructed.
1994: Port Tower Selion was opened.
1997: The Hikiyama event was designated by the state as an important intangible folkloric cultural property.
2010: The National Federation of Yama, Hoko, and Yatai festivals held its assembly meeting in Tsuchizaki. Ten Hikiyama floats and a 15-meter-high restored Hikiyama float were used for demonstration.
2016: As one of the Yama, Hoko, and Yatai festivals, Tsuchizaki Shinmei Shrine Festival was included in the UNESCO list of intangible cultural properties.
2017: Cultural properties in Akita City and other ports of call of Kitamae ships were designated as Japan heritage by the National Agency of Cultural Affairs as “The Kitamae-Bune Sea Routes: Ports and Residences Built on the Dreams of Brave Seafarers.”