Layout of the Ishiguro House
This floor plan was established in 1853 when the Ishiguro family purchased the building from Hasunuma Shichizaemon. All parts of the main building except the living room remain as they are drawn in the plan, and this indicates that the buildings including the Yakuimon gate were constructed in around the Bunka and Bunsei periods (1804–1830).
The floor plan clearly notes not only the size of the buildings but also the features seen in traditional Japanese architecture such as “kokera-buki (roof coverings made of wooden shingles)” and “sugikawa-buki (roof coverings made of pine shingles).” It also indicates the position of a stable near the well, which is very interesting since it hints that the family kept horses on their premises.
Before moving to their present address, the family lived in Kawara Town, as seen from the town map from the Kyoho period (1716–1736). The floor plan of their previous residence exists as well.