The present-day JR Oga Line was first opened on December 16th, Showa 5 (1930), as Funakawa Line, a branch line to the Ou Main Line. It was a combined passenger and freight train whose primary purpose was transporting freight to Funakawa Port, which opened the same year. In Taisho 12 (1923), the trip between Funakawa Station (now Oga Station) and Akita Station took between 1.5 and 2 hours each way and ran six times a day. Furthermore, from Kanegawa it crossed the sea to arrive at Funakawa Station, which was built on reclaimed land. The seawall built from Mt.Kanpuzan’s Oga Rocks still bears that name.